10 October 2016

St. Dunstan Revisited

For this post, I wanted to deliver something a little different to the outfit posts normally seen here at Truly Madly Deeply Fashion. I took these pictures on a recent visit to St. Dunstan in the East, the site of Church ruins caused by bombing during the Second World War. The Church was badly damaged during the Blitz, and later made into a public garden. You can see a more detailed history of St. Dunstan in the East in the very first blog post I did, Goth Love (Part 1) - Paint It Black. I hadn't been back since, and recently I'd been thinking about it again and wanting to go. So I ventured there with my camera gear and luckily the sun came out that day, so the light was on my side.

Just like the plants and vines that wrap themselves around the ruins, a powerful sense of the past clings to St. Dunstan, and it's a place with lots of stories to tell. On the day of my visit, there were quite a few people around enjoying the scenery, some of them taking pictures, but it was by no means crowded. (Unfortunately, one area was closed off as there was work being done to restore the stone, so I couldn't stand in the place where I captured the opening images for my original blog post on St. Dunstan.) Overall, it doesn't take too long to walk through the grounds.

For those of you who are in London, St. Dunstan in the East is a few minutes' walk away from Monument tube station, and is also close to Tower Hill (both on the District and Circle Lines). Just a stone's throw from the heart of the city, St. Dunstan is an unexpected hidden oasis, with lots of promising photographic opportunities.

I hope you like these images. Please let me know in the comments below if you enjoyed this post, and would like to see more London locations featured on Truly Madly Deeply Fashion. Thanks for dropping by! xx
St Dunstan in the East, St Dunstan's Hill, London, EC3R 5DD

Entrances via Idol Lane and St Dunstan's Hill.

Open all year round from 8am to 7pm or dusk, whichever is earlier.
Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

(Details from City of London website)

27 comments:

  1. Great post. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! These pics are amazing! Would love to see more London locations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your positive feedback Angela! I'm so glad you liked this post. xx

      Delete
  3. I love this post! London is history itself. There's so much to see and discover.

    Jasmine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jasmine! I'm really glad you liked it. Yes, that's very true! xx

      Delete
  4. Wow, the place looks very rustic, I guess London has so many beautiful historic sites :)

    xoxo,

    |CHELSHEAFLO BLOG|
    |INSTAGRAM|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is beautiful Chelshea! Yes, us Londoners are lucky to have places like this to visit! xx

      Delete
  5. This is stunning! Wow, such a gorgeous place. I can see why you felt so connected to it!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lorna! I'm really glad you like it! xxx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It's more gothic in style, rather than rustic, but hopefully you can get a sense of it from the pictures!

      Delete
  7. nice blog post i like your blog thanks for sharing with us voonik kurtis at 249

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy weekend, Saba! I hope you're well!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very well, thanks for asking Lorna! Have a fab weekend! xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks :) Do you have any plans for this current one coming? :)

      Raindrops of Sapphire

      Delete
  9. This looks so lovely! Thanks for sharing xxx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kiran! You're so welcome, and thank you for dropping by! xxx

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos, Saba, and a lovely read. I'd love to see more photos of hidden gems in London! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm really glad you like the images. I'll be incorporating more London locations into my blog posts in future, so watch this space! xx

      Delete
  11. Very nice place, Saba!!!A bit mysterious and suggestive....It's interesting this idea to share some nice corners of London....Usually we're used to know and visit only the most popular places, ignoring the hidden locations, that have their own charm!!! I was thinking to do the same with the places I visited during the years I spent in Spain!
    Have a nice weekend
    Sophia
    www.sophiasfashiondiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia! Thanks so much for your visit, and for your thoughtful comment. I agree, sometimes it's more interesting to discover locations which are less known and have an air of mystery about them! That's a great idea for your blog. I look forward to seeing more coverage of your favourite places to visit in Spain! Happy Halloween. xxx

      Delete
  12. Wow, this looks like such a lovely little place! It's amazing how many hidden gems like this there are around London. The city can be such a busy and overwhelming place, so a little oasis like this is definietly worth a visit. Loving the gothic style of the architecture, as well. You took some beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing, kisses. x x x

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Kay. I'm so glad you like the images, and I appreciate your visit! It's definitely nice to retreat to a quiet, atmospheric place like this, when the crowded city streets become overwhelming! xxx

      Delete